Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

First Impressions


I have a news flash for every business person out there. Here's the deal: every person counts. Every contact you make counts. A contact can help your business or not - the choice is yours.

Let me explain. I can't count the number of times I set up an interview and call at the set time and the person just isn't there. In other words - I got stood up. Not even a phone call to let me know there has to be a change of plans.

But it doesn't matter, right? I'm just the reporter.

Yup - I am just the reporter and the next time someone in my surprisingly large network asks me where he or she should go to buy widgets, do you think I'm going to recommend the widget maker that stood me up? Even if he is  a great widget maker, I won't do it. And not because I'm trying to get revenge. It's because I know that the way I do one thing is how I do everything.

I know that the person who isn't courteous enough to be there on time with me, won't keep his word with customers either. I know that the person who won't call me to tell me he has to postpone, won't call his customers either.

It's called poor service and I won't send a contact to a widget maker with poor service.

I'm just surprised how many of those "poor service" businesses there are out there. If they're not doing as well as they would like to, they may want to point the finger at their own noses and ask why?

No comments:

Post a Comment