Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Quitting


I'm a quitter - and I'm proud of it. And I'm not even talking about something noble like quitting smoking. I quite French lessons - yesterday was my last. I am skipping yoga tonight for no better reason than I don't feel like going and it makes me happier to stay at home rather than go. I will likely quit that too.

My brother has, in the past, accused me of getting bored and just quitting whatever I'm no longer excited by. My answer to that accusation? "Uh - yes."

Yes I do, in some cases, have the attention span of a house fly - and I used to think that was a bad thing. I don't even feel vaguely guilty about that any more - because I know that when something really grabs me, I'm in it for keeps. Out of every 100 books I read, I may put one aside without finishing it - and only then after giving it a very valiant effort. I have rarely not persisted to the top of the mountain, no matter how tough the climb or how bad the weather.

But here's the thing. If it makes me happier to not do something than to do it, I'll go with happier and to hell with the supposed virtue or doing a thing just because I "should." French was fun but you know, I'm not about to use the knowledge in the near future. Yoga? It's a good idea - but it feels like a should - and it doesn't hold my attention. This isn't the first time I've given organized exercise a shot - but it's so booooring. (for me)

So now, instead of trundling off to yoga, I'm going to curl up on the couch with a really good book "The Things That Keep Us Here," and I'm going to feel really good about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment