Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Voting strategically


I am not a big fan of voting strategically. I want to vote with my head and heart and my principles. BUT (this is a very big but) Canada has a system in place that doesn't allow me to do that - certainly not this time around.

74 percent of Canadians did not vote for Harper in the last election - and yet he got to run the country. Something is badly wrong with this picture. I know of no other country where this would be allowed. In the last election in England, when no party won a clear majority, they were forced to form a coalition. And why, pray tell, is a coalition a bad thing? Harper made it a dirty word - please don't buy it. Coalition governments are terrific. They get things done. They have an innate system of checks and balances. Switzerland and many other countries have been under a coalition government for ages - and it works.

Back to strategic voting. In this country, for some reason, we can be ruled by a government that a minority - not a majority - voted for. Is that weird? So I am going to vote strategically for the party that will win my riding rather than the Conservatives.

Truly - it's an "anything but the Conservatives" vote.

The important thing is that I'm voting.

Please make your voice heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment