Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Garden


I spent a couple of hours digging in the garden today - getting ready to plant more blueberry bushes and  hoping to sow the first batch of lettuce seeds this week.

More than ever, I see the importance of growing our own produce. The madness of lawns - I mean - really - what kind of crop is grass? What kind of crop requires us to use large amounts of gasoline (lawn mowers) to keep it short. We can't even eat it.

This year I am growing raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, peas, beans, herbs, tons of lettuce (I live on salads in the summer) and then frequenting the farmer's market in Cedar - an excellent market. I buy my dog food there too - chicken necks and backs. No - I do not feed my dog kibble. Why would anyone who loves their dog feed them highly processed food every day? No matter how premium the brand - it's highly processed. Would we eat kibble every day or feed kibble to our children?

Ah yes, I appear to be on a food rant. Eat local, eat organic, eat your veggies.....

Grow what you can.

It's just common sense, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment