Search This Blog

Thursday, April 7, 2011

American Idol


I admit it - I spent a good deal of time this morning watching last night's American Idol on YouTube. Who will be eliminated tonight? Oh the angst! The drama!

I am amazed by how little it takes to distract us (me) from the really important things in life. And no, I'm not thinking hunger, suffering and politics - I'm thinking of tossing a ball for my dog - because it makes her happy.

What's really is important in life? We hear the term "bucket list" everywhere these days - thanks to a very bad movie that was made a few years ago. And, oh my gosh, that term has been so trivialized. I recently saw a bucket list that had on it "cut classes at school." Really? That's one of the most important things for you to do before you die?

It may be time to re-evaluate importances. And it may be time to re-think what "bucket list" means - we all have things we want to do but there's a difference between "want" and "wow - this is really important!"

Oh course, if it's really important, you'll just do it, won't you? Why on earth wouldn't you do something that's very important to you? Or are you just saying it's important? If you really want to find out what's truly most important to you, look at where you are spending your time, energy and money.

So - where am I spending my time, energy and money? My dog, the great outdoors (hiking, skiing, etc.), books, books and more books, friends, writing and ah - American Idol.

No comments:

Post a Comment