Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Quiet Day


What an odd day - so dark I have to keep the lights on even though it's almost noon. And I am completely idle. I've spent the last hour plus finishing a rather lovely book - something I rarely do during "working hours." Clearly, it's something I'll have to get more used to.

I like being idle, but only when I'm "supposed" to be. In other words, the holidays are over - and here I am with less to do than last week. I call this "enforced idleness" and it doesn't feel as good as the, "I engineered this idleness" kind of doing nothing. I'm still not out of the work mindset. Less so - yes - but I still need and want to do some. I could make work for myself but for some reason that doesn't feel like quite the same thing.

In my work, this kind of "nothing to do" space comes and goes. I'm still not used to it. Will I ever get used to it? Yes - I'm sure I will. I'm just easing into it rather than jumping in off the high tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment