Search This Blog

Thursday, January 27, 2011


Today I said no.

And that, folks, is one of the hardest things I have done for a while.

I know I'm not alone in this. Women, particularly, have a hard time saying no. Every time someone asks one more thing, one more task - fit in just one more thing - my response, historically is yes. Even when yes means a major dose of stress.

Why do I say yes? I want to be a hero; I want to be admired; I want approval - all of those things mixed with a generous helping of fear of losing admiration and approval. In other words, the unconscious self-talk runs along the lines of, "I am only worthy if I do (fill in the blank) and do it will and do it better than anyone else. I have to make myself indispensable.

Of course, that's all a load of crap.

Glad I've realized it.

The approval and admiration I am giving myself for not putting myself under a load of stress is much bigger than I could get externally.

You see? You can teach an old dog new tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment