Search This Blog

Sunday, January 9, 2011

OMG part 2


The dangers of blogging: N took exception to my blog - and so, no more N. Although this registered as a disappointment, I managed to straighten my spine and move on.

However, this development did lead to some introspection. Is it unethical to talk about other people, even when unidentified, in my blog? Should I ask permission first? After all, if I mention a relationship, or even a potential relationship, it is no longer just me - other people are involved. On the other hand, as a writer and sometime columnist, I know that writing about myself without involving other people or my relationships with others, makes for very dull, and indeed, unreadable material. Relationships are the stuff of life.

I've come to no conclusions. I'd love to hear others' thoughts on the subject.

In the meantime, the snow has cloaked the world in a mantel of white - stark limbs of naked trees have become intricate fairyland lace work. It's time to get people and dogs out on the trails - especially dogs. If you ever want to observe pure joy in action, just watch a dog playing in the snow.

Photos to come.

2 comments:

  1. It was probably the first post that offended him. Being given a letter and being refereed to as next, may have triggered a feeling of being objectified. I think men (in general) are not so used to that. I don't think permission is as necessary as disclosure. Tell them you will be talking about your experience of them in your blog, and that until they give permission you will keep any identifying details out of the blog. I wouldn't even refer to the towns/regions they live in. Ask them how they would like to be referred to in your blog. That should give them some ownership of the blog experience, it will also weed out the less confident. Reading about your past forays will certainly suss out those willing to live a bigger game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way I figure it, in this day and age it's 100% normal to Google your potential date.

    My grandparents, who have dial up internet(True! I heard it uses a fax line or something), googled their grandson's (my cousin) new girlfriend.

    So basically I think I'm saying if you put it out there they will find it. Unless you start going under some psuedonym, like Bad Isoin or something,yer on display to your boss, in-laws, ect ect.

    I mean hell, your third hit on google is your bio. Makes feminine mystique a little tougher.

    ReplyDelete