Search This Blog

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sunny Day


Just when I think I have come to fully embrace the Pacific Northwest and to love (tolerate) grey skies and rain and wind and overall dampness - just when I have everything I need (Gore-tex form head to toe) to make living in this dampness reasonable, we get a day like this. Temperatures have soared into the twenties. The sun has burst through. Birds are singing, skies are blue and the magical sensation on my bare (yes - sweaters cast aside) skin is warmth. I have flung open the doors and windows and am allowing sunshine and a gentle breeze to penetrate my fortress.

And suddenly, with the warmth, comes a slowing down of movement. I want to sit on the warm earth - better yes, lie down in it - close my eyes and absorb every ray of sun beaming down on the planet. I am willing to do nothing but drink in vitamin D. I am happy to be a sloth - to take long afternoon naps and then to sit on a deck with my bare feet on a warm, wooden railing while I watch the horses roll contentedly in the dust.

I understand the compulsion of so many to head south in the winter - to become snowbirds. Alas, that is not the life for me, but I get it - I really do. For now, I'll just glory in what we have been given - right now - today. Sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment