Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Mother's Story


Okay - it's done. I've edited it and printed it out and tomorrow I'll buy a nice folder to put it in - and then I'll give it to my mother when I visit in July.

I expected more than I got - but I also got things I didn't expect. I've always considered my mother a highly self-centric person and that opinion certainly gained plenty of validation. I was surprised how many times I had to prod her to talk about external events taking place (a damn war for heaven's sakes) and to elaborate on how those events affected her. Surprisingly, unless the events impacted her directly, she tended to shrug them off.

On the other hand, I got a good, sweeping picture of her life as a young woman and I mourn for the loss of that woman - where did she go? Death by a thousand duck bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment