Search This Blog

Saturday, May 21, 2011

It's all about attitude


Attitude is where it starts. Getting outside - no matter what the weather - that's the thing. Oh sure, it was raining this morning. It would have been so easy, after the glorious warmth and sunshine of yesterday, to say, "Nah - no hiking today. I'll wait until it's sunny again."

I would have missed so much. After all, what's a bit of water? I pulled on my rainproof pants, my Gore-tex lined boots, My rainproof shell and hat and I was ready to go.

We hit Mount Tzouhalem in Duncan and detoured off the trail (on the way to the summit) into the ecological reserve. That was worth the entire trip. Spring - garry oak meadows clothed with pink orchids, blue scilla and yellow daisies. New leaves unfurling on the oaks with the grace an dignity of a new butterfly's wings. Every shade of green ever created from the pale of the heart of a freshly cut lime to the darkest fir needles - almost ebony.

It was wonderful - even (maybe especially) the getting lost part on the myriad trails that criss cross the mountain. You know what's great about getting lost? Finding your way again. You feel like you've really accomplished something. As a nice side-effect, both J and I have very tired (and well-behaved) dogs.

Wonderful, wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment