Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Watching the World


I have many thoughts as I watch the unfolding of events in the Middle East. I don't have the time to go into them all right now. However, here's one important thing: I am basing my thoughts, as much as I can, on facts - not opinions of media pundits who toe some sort of "media industry" (read big business) party line.

Journalism consists of reporting facts - attributing statements, digging, doing research - not spouting half-formed opinions that serve some other purpose. I tend to stick to Al Jazeera, Wikileaks, FAIR - and, of course, the number one American source of fair, honest news - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. (I wish I was joking about that last one but I'm not.)

Even Michael Moore puts out some good facts - check his Twitter feed.

The wonderful thing about this age with its social media, is that we can learn the truth - if we want to - or at least the facts. Truth and facts are not necessarily always the same thing.

Me? I'm with the people. I'm an idealist. I want ordinary people to win. I want every person to have freedom to vote, to determine their future. I want people to be free from hunger, to be free to have an unbiased education, to be able to speak and to question the status quo without fear, to have proper health care - to not be afraid of bullies....

I pray these are the things that will come to be in the Middle East.

No comments:

Post a Comment