Search This Blog

Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Power of Stories


I asked myself yesterday why I do what I do. The answer, as I predicted, was easy.

I believe in the power of stories.

I believe in the power of stories to move people, to change people's lives and even to turn the direction of the world. This ties in with my calling in life: I am called to inspire social and environmental activism by telling powerful stories that touch people's hearts.

Mankind has been moved by the power of stories since the earliest of times. Stories were told in pictures on the walls of caves. People have been passing down stories for hundreds and thousands of generations. Before there was the printed word, there was oral history - and oral history is still important today. How primal is the power of the story? What child has not said to its parent, "Tell me a story!"

The way I contribute to the world is by telling stories. I have that ability.

Knowing this, I also know how I have to make my contribution. I have been contemplating a volunteering mission - well, it's not going to be changing diapers or washing floors. Somewhere in the world there is a person or a group of people who wants and needs their story to be told. That is where I will spend my time and energy. All I need to do now is find that person or group.

And I am very clear that the story must inspire. Stories of how awful and wrong things are in the world stop rather that start action. People must believe they can make a difference. Then they will act. I'm ready to do my part.

1 comment:

  1. This one got me as a kid. Took me another 15 years before I actually read the Epic of Gilgamesh. Loved it, couldn't believe that something that old still resonates. The power of friendship. I consider the epic of gilgamesh to be the oldest written story... and I identify with it, amazing.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoM_kPGfkw0

    ReplyDelete