Search This Blog

Sunday, October 17, 2010

A thought or two about retirement


Retirement (noun): meaning what exactly? "I'm tired again?

I prefer to think of it as getting new tires. Last year I got new winter tires for my car. It was the first time I had ever driven a vehicle with proper winter tires. "Bring on the snow" I yelled at the sky, knowing of course, and mentioning it to the nice man at Kal Tire, "Now that I have winter tires it won't snow all season."

And, of course, it didn't. So that's how I feel about my new set of tires. I am re-tired with brand new treads and I'll tell you, these treads will take on anything - mud, snow, ice, squabbles, gales, tantrums, rants - but of course, now that I am re-tired, none of that will happen. The sun will shine, all good things will come my way and I shall live happily ever after - probably with someone I haven't even met yet.

Don't expect this blog to be a conventional guide to anything. If you want an actual "guide" to re-tirement, I'm sure Dummies has a manual for it. This will be my personal account - what it's like for me. I'm 64 and single. I live in the country, above a stable, with my dog, Abby. I live a blessed life that is about to get a whole heap more blessings piled on it.

I don't know exactly what to expect from re-tirement but my expectations are high. I can tell you what I do not anticipate: playing golf, sitting back on the couch and clicking the remote; RVing; afternoons at the seniors centre quilting and carpet bowling.

I'm thinking of hang gliding next year.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh and to think I was taking credit for the lack of snow last year because I bought (for the first time ever) a complete set of wretchedly expensive snow tires!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete