Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Vegetable Garden


It occurred to me to finally take some photos of our thriving vegetable patch - some patch - as you can see, it's huge. And the sunflowers are only just beginning to shoot up. Was weeding this morning - few things feel better than working in the garden on a warm sunny day.


This is looking past the Kohlrabi in the foreground way over to turnips in the back.

My lettuce - I sow new seeds (many varieties) in blocks every three weeks or so - a constant supply of fresh young mixed lettuce - enough to feed at least three families all summer long.


Swiss Chard - just keep picking the outer leaves and we have it all spring, summer and fall


Kale of course - enough for cooking and tons of kale chips


Pole beans of course - I swear by Kentucky Wonder Green Pod - I've been growing them since year dot and my mother grew them before me. A bit of a late start this year but they're coming along.


Raspberries and peas - the English peas (my favs) are almost ready. I can taste them now, slowly simmered in  butter in a covered pan - maybe enhanced with a touch of dill.

We also have corn, parsnips, celery, strawberries, blueberries and all kinds of squash.

There's just nothing quite like growing your own food.

No comments:

Post a Comment